Building a Shopify store needs work, but it is not as difficult as marketing. Making your first sale is like a flag that marks your territory in the e-commerce space, but it is harder than it seems.
There are so many ways to market your products online, but we will only share with you the top 11 Shopify marketing tips for 2020. All these tips are guaranteed to work if done right.
1. Create a loyalty program
Customers love being rewarded. In life, part of human psychology is to aim for a goal, and have that feeling of satisfaction once that goal is achieved.
Here are some examples of loyalty programs:
- VIP – if a customer hits a certain purchase amount (accumulated), he gets a VIP status. The higher the VIP status, the more rewards he gets. Examples of these rewards are discounts and free items.
- Points – you can issue points for every dollar spent, and then the customers can swap these points at your store in exchange for cash or items. For example, 100 points can be swapped for $1.
- Annual Freebies – you can send free stuff to your consumers, like t-shirts that carry your brand. You can order these shirts from print-on-demand companies and send them to qualified customers
A loyalty program serves several purposes. It attracts new customers, it retains old customers, and it also increases average conversion value.
2. Offer free shipping
If you are selling items that customers can easily find in a physical store, chances are that your site visitors are not going to buy from you. Why would they pay for shipping if what you are selling is accessible somewhere else?
Free shipping is the only solution to this. But how?
Here are some ways to do free shipping:
- Increase prices – increase your profit margin to cover shipping costs; this way, the customer is actually paying for shipping
- Minimum purchase value – offer free shipping if a minimum purchase value is met, like $100. This works if you have a fixed dollar profit amount on each item you are selling. That way, you know that three or four items sold have a profit margin that could cover the shipping cost.
You can also offer free shipping on selected items only. To do this, you also have to know how much profit each item is making, and make sure that this profit can pay for its own shipping.
3. Advertise on Facebook
Facebook is still the king of all social media. With billions of active users worldwide, there is a big potential to get customers from the platform.
Here are some advertising tips on Facebook:
- Use videos – videos are more powerful than images; they send a stronger message to your target audience
- Different ad sets – test different ads to see which ones are most effective; a simple difference like font color can yield different results so check out which ones work best
- Use interesting images – advertising is an art form, so you have to use eye-catching images that grab attention. You should also use a great ad copy to make your ads effective
Facebook works best if you target the right people. The platform is designed to help you with this, as you can choose the types of people you can show your ads to. Before you advertise, make sure that you know who your target buyers are.
4. Create giveaways and promotions
Discounts and coupons are always effective ways to market your Shopify store. You can do this is in several ways, but it is only effective if customers think that the promotion is totally worth it.
Here are some examples of effective promotions:
- Coupons and vouchers – create discount coupons that customers cannot refuse
- Free gifts – send free gift items to consumers who meet certain requirements; you can also send free birthday gifts like branded coffee mugs
- Samples – give free samples of your products before launch; make sure you market this on different social media channels. Only give a limited amount of samples, like to the first 100 people who sign-up
People cannot resist something that is free, especially if what you are giving away is something that is valuable. If you do this, customers would love to participate knowing that they have nothing to lose.
5. Get their email addresses
Email marketing still remains as one of the most effective marketing strategies online. All it takes is to convince a site visitor to sign up for your newsletter. In Shopify, you immediately have access to the email addresses of the customers who ordered your product.
Here are some tips to get this done right:
- Offer something valuable so a site visitor would sign-up
- Send emails of your promotions on a weekly basis, not daily
- Notify your subscribers of new blog posts or news in your niche
It could be tempting to send frequent updates about your products and promotions, but you have to do this sparingly.
People who receive your email must receive value before they buy. It is likely that they would unsubscribe if all your emails are about marketing. Do not spam your email subscribers. Add value to their lives and sales would come.
6. Focus on blog marketing
Content is still king, and you would find yourself in a situation where you are spending a lot on ads. The key to reducing ad spend and yet still generating traffic is blog.
After running the ad, it is gone. But if you post a blog, it is there for Google and other search engines to crawl forever.
Here are some blogging tips to help you get traffic:
- Create long-form blogs; articles must be no shorter than 1,000 words
- Your posts must be helpful and not salesy; people online are looking for solutions
- Create high-quality content; each post must add value to make yourself look credible
The thing with blogs posts is that it takes a while to get traffic. On average, it can take Google eight to ten months to finally rank your blog post. But once this happens, searches related to that blog will show your page at the top rank.
If you are ranking high, you get more clicks. And if you have traffic, you are going to have a better conversion rate.
7. Add product reviews in your store
Product reviews are social proof. They show site visitors that you are the real deal, that your customers are happy with your products.
If you are operating a new store, product reviews are hard to come by. After all, not all customers like to review what they bought. But there are some tricks to get reviews to your store really quick.
- Use apps – there are apps in Shopify that would allow you to import product reviews from AliExpress
- Send emails – encourage customers to review your products after they have received your purchase; you can offer points or promotions if they leave a review
- Photos – use review apps that allow your customers to leave photos of their items; this helps the reviews look more authentic
Whatever you do, you should never buy fake reviews. This can severely hurt your store’s credibility. Customers have a nose for smelling fake reviews, so beware.
8. Chat with your customers
Make sure you are actively engaged with your customers. They love being taken care of, and one way to do this is through chat engagement.
Surely, you cannot stay awake 24/7, and it is going to cost you to hire employees who can watch over your chat feeds.
Here are some solutions:
- Use chatbots – there are so many chatbots apps that you can integrate with Facebook or your Shopify store; use these bots to program answers to the most frequently asked questions
- Set expectations – tell your customers somewhere on your page what your customer service hours are; this way, they would know the best time to contact you or a live person chat
Chatbots must be used with care. People do not like it if robots do not answer their questions. Robots usually take the customer on a loop, and this is really annoying. Program your chatbot to say that it cannot answer this specific question now, and that someone will get back to the customer within 24 hours.
9. Create how-to videos
How-to videos are one of the most effective ways to convince a customer to buy a product. With how-to videos, you can show potential buyers how your product works.
Here are some ways to market your videos:
- YouTube – create a channel and create helpful videos; tell the viewer to visit your store
- Facebook – use the video as an ad, or just post it and promote it later on
- On your store – upload the video in your blog post or create a library in your store for people to access
Videos are more effective than words and images, but they are also a lot more difficult to create. To start, you must have a script, a microphone, and a good camera to create the video. Then, you also need a video editing software.
10. Follow-up on abandoned carts
In Shopify, there are plans where abandoned cart recovery is already included. An abandoned cart is a cart where the customer has already provided her email and billing address, but decided not to buy.
In this case, you can use Shopify’s built-in abandoned cart recovery system. What happens in this recovery process?
Here is how the system works:
- An email will be automatically sent to a customer who abandoned here cart
- This email has the details of what she was supposed to buy
- It has a “Continue Purchase” button
The customer can continue to make the payment, or ignore it. Apart from convincing the customer to buy, you can also use this feature to ask why she did not proceed. You can gain insights from this activity and it can help you make your store better.
11. Use social media
Do not limit your marketing efforts on Facebook ads. All social media platforms are free. All it takes is to use the right platform based on your niche and target market.
Here are some tips which platforms to use:
- Facebook – generally great for everything
- Instagram – works best for food, health, and anything related to fashion and beauty
- Pinterest – great for arts and crafts or interests like cooking and other hobbies
Post on you social media channels regularly. Make sure that the posts are interesting, and always encourage your followers to visit your website.
These 11 Shopify marketing tips for 2020 are the most effective actions you can take now. They are proven to drive success to online stores if done right. As a last word of advice, focus only on a few tactics to get started.
Start with one or two, and then master these marketing tactics until you can make them work. Only then must you move on to the others. If you do them all at the same time, you will find yourself overwhelmed with tasks.