Shipping is the twin brother of any e-commerce website. If you built your store from scratch on an e-commerce platform like Shopify, then shipping is not going to be an issue because it is already built-in with the system. But if you are using WordPress, then you have to choose a plug-in.
A shipping plug-in can work in many ways. The main roles of a shipping plug-in are the following:
- To take the buyer’s shipping address
- To determine how much this buyer has to pay for shipping
- To be able to print a shipping label
The cost of shipping depends on the rate you programmed, or it can be an automatic rate based on how the plug-in works.
This is important, so you do not lose money. If you are offering free shipping, then there is no need to add this plug-in. But if not, take a look at the seven best e-commerce shipping plug-ins that you can use for WordPress.
But before that, you need to install WooCommerce. WooCommerce is a free plug-in that you need to integrate on WordPress. It is a software that supports many other types of plug-ins or apps. It is like a marketplace of apps for WordPress.
WooCommerce itself is free, but you have to pay for the other plug-ins that you will download and install from it.
1. Table Rate Shipping
Table Rate Shipping is software that costs at least $99 per month. At this price, you can only use the plug-in on a single site, if you have a lot of websites, you can pay $149 for five sites or $299 for 25 sites.
Here are the benefits of this plug-in:
- Create shipping zones and add a different rate for each zone
- Choose a different shipping calculator based on order type, per item, per line, per classification of the item, and so much more
- Create shipping prices and rules based on quantity, the weight of the item, or the price of the item you are selling
With this plug-in, you can also create a shipping price that is based on a percentage that you want. This percentage is calculated depending on the total cost of the items placed in the shopping cart, or on the price of the item, or the total weight.
This is a subscription-based app, and you can expect one full year of support after you buy it. There is also a 30-day money-back guarantee if you do not like it.
2. WooCommerce Advanced Shipping
With this app. You can create your own shipping rates based on the conditions you want. It is easy to use, and you do not need to code. It has a simple user interface, and all you have to do is to choose the conditions, and then type the amount of money you want to charge if these conditions are met.
Here are the benefits and features of this plug-in:
- No coding knowledge required
- Create different types of shipping costs
- Ship by country, state, or by zip code
- Create shipping rates by weight, item count, or percentage
- Create a shipping table for flat rate shipping
There are three main categories by which you can create the shipping logic with this app or plug-in. The first one is based on the content of the cart. With this, you can create shipping prices based on the sub-total, the sub-total excluding the tax fee, product content, coupons, the quantity of the items, and shipment class.
The second one is user-based. With this, you can create shipping prices based on country, state, zip code, and user role in the system (like VIP or regular customer).
The third is based on the product. You can set shipping rates based on weight, length, height, stock type, or product category.
The cost of the plug-in is $18 per month, and this comes with free support for one year. If you need to extend that support, you have to pay an extra $4.88.
3. Weight Based Shipping
While the name of the plug-in says weight is the basis of the shipping cost, the truth is that this one is flexible enough so you can create other shipping conditions and prices not based on weight.
To be able to use it, you must have at least a WooCommerce plug-in version 3.7, and a WordPress account for version 5.2 and up.
Here are the benefits of this app:
- Create table rate shipping
- Flexibility to create different shipping rates per profile
- Set-up progressive shipping costs according to cart weight or cart sub-total price
- Override the pricing of each shipping class
- Flat rate shipping is an option
- Free shipping if some conditions are met
In this plug-in, you can also set a rule where the price of the shipping will automatically change based on the weight of the cart and not of the actual product. It is up for you to determine the cart weight of each listed product, and the system will automatically add that weight if it was added to the cart.
The cost of this software is $19 per month. If you need an extended license, which means you will use the plug-in for multiple clients, you have to pay $99.
4. Cart-based Shipping
This is a simple shipping app where you can program the shipping cost depending on the content of the cart. Priced at a low cost of $15, there are more than 2,000 people who have bought the product. It has a rating of 4.5 stars, and it is best used by online sellers whose shipping cost depends on the cart content.
The benefits and features of this plug-in are:
- Set different shipping rates based on the item count on the shopping cart
- Use three calculation methods: subtotal price, item count, cart weight
- Set the conditions according to specific countries
- Easy to use
- Allows you to create shipping zones
- Coupons may be used before the subtotal is calculated
- You can exclude taxes
- Create a minimum shipping rate, a flat rate, or percentage-based shipping costs
- Lifetime free updates
- Exclude some items that you want to ship for free
Though the plug-in may seem simple, it is a powerful tool that allows you to create different shipping prices based on different conditions. Since it does not have a feature where you can set shipping rates per country, you can still use the shipping zones and create different rates per zone.
5. UPS for WooCommerce
This tool allows you to get live rates from UPS. It is so easy to use that you can complete the installation within five minutes. The good thing about this is that your buyer will see the UPS brand, and this will add credibility to you as a seller.
Once the buyer is on the checkout page, the plug-in will show the buyer the actual cost of the shipping. It is an automatic calculation, and this happens because of the UPS plug-in, which is connected to the UPS main portal.
Here are the benefits and the features:
- Customers have the option to pick-up their packages from a UPS office
- You can enable the UPS Access Point Service; the plug-in will suggest the nearest UPS office
- Automatic shipping calculator depending on the address of the customer
- You can enable negotiated rates with UPS
- Customers can add insurance
- All types of currencies are supported
- There is a fallback cost in case the UPS systems are down; the customer can still check out with a shipping price where you will not lose money
- You can integrate it with another plug-in called WooCommerce Shipping Zones
This plug-in is free to use, and you will be able to use several of the features in the Basic package. However, you need to upgrade to better plans if you are looking for more features. The cost of the Pro package is $59, and you can use it only on a single site.
Here are the features of the Pro package:
- UPS Access Points
- You can charge handling fees or offer discounted shipping
- There is an estimated delivery date
- Automatic box packing
- Multiple currencies supported
There is another plan which costs $109, and this is called the Business plan. With this plan, you will get everything from the Pro, but you can use the plug-in on five sites, and you will also enjoy the benefits of priority 1-on-1 customer support.
6. Advanced Shipment Tracking or AST
This plug-in is great if you want your customers to be able to track your shipment. If they can track their order, then it will result in fewer consumer inquiries and fewer headaches. It will save you more time, and you can use that time to market your products instead of answering questions about shipment status.
The plug-in will send the buyer a notice about the shipment once the package is on the way. The notice contains a link to their order and they can visit that to view the shipment status.
The plug-in supports more than 100 carriers or shipping providers. They will receive a link plus an image about their package. Once they click the link, they will be able to view the tracking display and the status.
Here are the features and benefits:
- Customizable tracking information like shipping provider, tracking number display, and shipment dates, etc.
- Has more than 100 shipping partners
- You can add custom shipping providers not on the list
- You can display the tracking information on the email notification
- You can customize the email notification
- Bulk import of tracking information on CSV file for your own use
- The tracking information can be updated if the plug-in was integrated with REST API
- You can add the Delivered status
The plug-in is free, and constant updates are available. As of this time, it supports multiple languages like Hindi, Italian, Norwegian, Greek, French, Spanish, and many more.
7. Advanced Flat Rate Shipping
With this plug-in, you can create your own rules even for flat rate shipping costs. You have to program these rules, and when they are met, the prices will show on the checkout page. You can create rules per country, per item, category, cart subtotal, and more.
Here are the different features and benefits:
- Country-specific rates
- Create shipping rates according to the product types on the cart
- Set-up shipping rates according to the cart total content
- You can create shipping prices based on how you have tagged your product
- Offer special rates depending on your customer profile
- Create conditions for shipping cost based on item quantity
The cost of this plug-in is $99 for single-site use. There are two other plans that cost $199 and $249. For the $199 plan, you can use the plug-in on five different websites, while it is unlimited on the last and most expensive plan.
Overall, this is one of the most powerful shipping plug-ins out there. With this one, you can create a lot of shipping prices based on different rules and conditions.
Here are the different conditions you can make:
- Zip Code
- Variable product
- User Role
- Attribute specific
- Cart total
- Shipping Class
- Enable or expire on a specific date
- Payments Method
- Less than (<=)
- Greater than (>=)
- Between (0-10)
Apart from these choices, you can even create advanced shipping rules based on the cost of the cart total, the category subtotal, the cart weight, and so much more.
So far, these are the best plug-ins for Shipping on WordPress, and you are better off using plug-ins that pass through WooCommerce. The reason for this is that you have the confidence that these apps and plug-ins passed the standards of WooCommerce.
If you would use stand-alone plug-ins, you might run into problems and not receive adequate support. Before you choose the shipping plug-in you want, you first have to find out what you really need. For example, you may not be shipping internationally, so you do not need a plug-in where you can set shipping rates per country.