Upselling is a fundamental technique that any salesman has in his arsenal of knowledge. It is a process or approach where you offer another item on top of what the customer originally purchased.
Usually its compatible with the first product bought, or it is offered at a lower rate.
You have to do this because many customers don’t realize that they need more than what they originally purchased. If someone bought a hamburger, you might want to offer fries or drinks with that.
Typically, this is done in a fast food chain where the customer has direct interaction with the counter personnel.
But how do you do this online?
Once you have selected the products to sell in your Shopify store and you start selling, you should set up some sort of upsell app.
Let’s take a look at the best Shopify upsell apps for 2019 that you can use to get more sales in your Shopify store.
Frequently Bought Together
Developer: Code Black Belt
If you have ever purchased or browsed a product on Amazon, you will see at the bottom of each item a section that tells you what other customers bought with that item.
Frequently Bought Together is a Shopify upsell app that works just like that.
The app isn’t free, and it costs $6.99 a month after you have used up your 3-day free trial.
The app analyzes purchases made from your store and automatically determines what products to offer to your customers.
Here are the things you can do with it.
- Set the number of recommended products.
- Customize the position of the upsell grid on the webpage.
- Select which specific product to recommend if you do not want automated ones.
- Create discounts in percentage value if the customer decides to buy your upsell recommendation.
Since the app isn’t free, its best used by store owners who already have a regular stream of sales. This way, the app can analyze what sells the most and make that offer based on data-driven information.
Bold Upsell – Upsell Smarter
Bold Upsell isn’t free, and it would cost you $9.99 after the 14-day free trial.
This will upsell and cross-sell products as pop-ups. If the customer wants it, he just has to click it.
An example of this is if the customer purchases shoes, the app will show socks, or show a higher-priced pair of shoes.
Here are the benefits of this app.
- Allows you to offer up to three upsells one after another
- Create different offers based on the initial purchase or product choice
- Change the second and third offer if the first upsell or cross-sell was rejected
- Offer different products according to product categories or pricing
- Integrate with other apps so you can offer the upsell during the checkout
Bold Upsell is great for store owners who want to integrate the app with other applications such as the Bold Discount app. When these two are combined, you can create upsell offers that also offers discounted rates.
Ultimate Special Offers
Developer: Pixel Union
This is one of the top Shopify upsell apps that you can find online, as it allows you to create several options like upselling, bundles, bulk or volume pricing and so much more.
The app isn’t free, it will cost you $19 a month to use it after the 10-day free trial.
Here are the things you can do with the app.
- Discount – offer low prices to customers on any product or collection of your choice.
- Buy One, Get One – here, you can offer customers a type of discount where they get two products of the same kind for the price of one. You can also set it in a way that customers can choose a free product different from what the one they are paying for.
- Bulk Discounts – you can offer bulk discounts for wholesalers. You can program the app to offer a discount at fixed prices or in percentage values.
The app is best used by store owners who are after massive or volume sales rather than single product sales. The app allows you to bundle products together at a lower price, too.
Personalizer is an app that lets you create grids or carousel layouts for your upsell recommendations.
It costs $10 a month, and you only have 15 days to use it for free. The value proposition of the app is that you can use it free until the app has increased your sales by 5x the amount of the monthly cost of the app.
Here are the key benefits of using Personalizer.
- Shows the popular and trending products according to your store performance.
- Has analytics that will show you the revenue that came from the app against your total revenue
- Real-time analytics that shows CTR, product view per visitor, average order size, and more
- Upsell and cross-sell capabilities inside the shopping cart
This app is best for store owners who are leaning towards heavy analytics. The app can support upsell and cross-sell like the other apps, but it capitalizes on analysis that can help you make better offers and adjust your pricing accordingly.
As the name implies, this Shopify upsell app produces a pop-up that shows a customer an offer. This pop-up appears if a customer visits your store for the first time or is about to exit your site.
The app is free to use, and you will get the following benefits.
- Create coupons and other promotions such as special pricing and free shipping
- Make pop-ups if some conditions are met like product quantity
- Collect emails from subscribers
- Offer discounts in pop-up windows
- Show limited offers
This is best used by beginners who are still in the experimentation phase in marketing.
The app is free and you can use it to learn more about upselling before you make a commitment to paying for other apps that have a monthly subscription.
Smart Search & Instant Search
The best Shopify upsell app is one that is used by big companies. Its an app that you will find in the online stores of Durex, Phillips, Mediamarkt, National Geographic and more.
The app is free to use and it has a 14-day free trial for you to check the functionalities not available in the free version.
Here are the things you can do with it.
- Real-time analytics
- Ease of navigation for your customers through the search box feature
- Create blocks of upselling and cross-sell based on product types and categories
- Personalize customer experience by using the upsell and cross-sell feature where you can make special offers
- Select how the upsell widget will appear, what products it will show, and on which page to show it
This one is best used by store owners who want to see how their offers are performing. The analysis tool of this app is so powerful that you can view what customers are clicking, buying and searching for.
Bold Brain is the best Shopify upsell app for people looking for apps that use artificial intelligence.
It has a free version, but the full suite will cost you $19.99 per month plus 2% of the sales that came from the widget.
What the app does is analyzes data that comes from your store’s activities. From this information, it chooses the best offer that your customer is likely to purchase.
Here are the highlights of the app:
- Widget – this is the area where the recommendation will appear
- Offers – the app will determine what products to show on as top rated and products that other customers bought recently.
- Product Views – the app will show products that were recently viewed, including the new products that were recently added to the store.
This app is great for individuals who want an analysis that puts customer types into segments or categories. Once you do this, you can customize and email campaign to personalize your offers.
Developer: Awesome Software
This is a free upsell app for Shopify that focuses on artificial intelligence and advanced targeting features.
It has a free version, but you can also get more features if you subscribe to the Beginner or the Professional packages.
The value proposition of the app is that it does not disturb the customer as pop-ups do and that you can set conditions when the offer will be shown.
Here are the different plans and what you can achieve with them.
- Free – only one offer is available at any time
- Beginner – costs $14 per month; you can create up to 25 offers, and you will also get the geo-targeting feature. Here, you can create offers specific to countries or locations.
- Professional – this one will cost you $39 per month, and you can create up to 500 different offers. In this plan, you can use the A/B testing analysis where you can create two variations of a single offer and see which one is more effective.
Use this app if you need to create a lot of offers.
This is best used by large stores that have hundreds, if not thousands of products that need different kinds of discounts.
Developer: Booster Apps
This one comes with a 7-day free trial, so you can test all its features. It has a free version, but you can only use it if your Shopify is still in its trial version.
What it focuses on is it gives you the ability to create discounted offers in your store, and it also leverages the power of cross-selling.
Here are the different plans and their prices per month.
- Basic – $19.99
- Professional – $29.99
- Advanced – $44.99
Regardless of your plan, the app lets you create buy one get one offer. You can also crate discounts like 50% off or buy two, get 50% off on the other one.
This app is best for store operators who want to create variations of offers with specific focus to discounting. You cannot use the app for bundling.
Developer: Eri Digital Ltd
This is a free upsell app for Shopify, but it is also available on a paid version where you can squeeze out more juice.
It lets you create an offer that customers can view while they are browsing for products on your store.
The only difference between the free and paid one is that the free version only allows you to sell ten upsells in a month while the paid one is unlimited.
Here are the benefits of using the app.
- Create buy one, get one promo
- Create discounts on the next purchase after the first one
- Offer any free product that comes with a purchase
The free version only makes sense if you are new to selling online and if you have not yet established a regular stream of sales.
The paid version will cost you $29.99 per month, and it is best purchased if you have data showing that your sales are coming from the upsells.
Also Bought Recommendations
Developer: Code Black Belt
This is one of the top Shopify upsell apps as the rating shows. It is created by the same developer that launched the Frequently Bought Together app.
It costs $9.99 per month, but you can try it for free for 30 days.
It shows products that other customers bought along with the products they are viewing.
It uses a proprietary analysis where previous purchases are logged, and the top-sellers are recommended by the app in its cross-selling platform.
Here are the things you can do with it.
- Display product sliders that show most bought items from your store
- Customizable widget location; you can choose where to place the slider
This app is best used for people who do not want to manually choose what to upsell and cross-sell. Its success is dependent on the algorithm and the data it gathered from your sales stats.
Cross Sell Recommend Products
Developer: Cross Sell
Cross Sell is a Shopify upsell app that costs $19.99 per month.
You have 10 days to try it for free and it is known for letting you handpick the products that you want customers to see.
Here are the benefits of the app.
- Show the products you want to cross-sell on the product and cart pages
- Create a pop-up that recommends products
- Show customers products related to what they already added in their cart
It is a great app for people who are selling products that have relevance with one another, like shows and shoelaces, or suits and ties. At this cost, what you need to do is to ensure you have a complete product roster before activating it.
SMART Bundle Upsell
As the product name implies, this one focuses on giving you the control to bundle products.
Fast food chains like McDonald’s basically bundle food into packages to make more money, You can do the same with your Shopify store with this app.
This one costs $47 per month, but you can try it free for 7 days.
It sounds costly, so it makes sense to check out what you get from it. Here are its features:
- Bundle on specific products of your choice
- Upsell or cross-sell products related to what the customer already has in the cart
- Customer rewards system if they spend more; create automated discount if the customer adds more product to her cart
This is a great app if you are selling products that complement each other like make-up and fashion accessories. It will help you create a need for customers since you can offer products directly related to their initial purchase.
Not to mention, this app was created by people who actually run Shopify stores.
That is a wrap for the best Shopify upsell apps for 2019.
Before you decide which app to buy, we recommend that you first think about how you want to approach your upsell and cross-sell strategy.
Check your traffic and drive more traffic if you do not have much yet, review your pricing and your profit margins and then decide if you can competitively offer discounts or bundles.
The Best Shopify Upsell Apps Are…
After evaluating each upsell app, I personally think these are the apps you should look into.
- SMART Bundle Upsell for its high rating and developer experience in the industry.
- Cross Sell Recommend Products because it’s perfect for adding simple recommended products.
- Also Bought Recommendations for its 5 start rating and ease of use for beginners.
- Discounted Upsells Lacking in advanced features this still lives up to be a great simple app to use.
- Pop Upsell for its simple use of a popup thats easy for beginners to use.
- Personalizer for its insane data backend that helps you understand your customers more.
You Might Also Enjoy
- Dropshipping For Beginners: The Simple Step By Step Guide To Starting
- Shopify Pricing Plans: Basic Shopify vs Shopify vs Advanced Shopify
- The Ultimate Free Dropshipping Course For 2019 & Beyond
- How To Start A Shopify Store In 12 Minutes With A Few Simple Steps!
Franklin Hatchett has worked online in various industries over the years generating more than 8 figures online. Now he teaches entrepreneurs how to start there own thriving online business! Franklins goal is to now educate others on how they can benefit from Ecommerce!