In a modern time like this, an online business is a more secured business than a physical one. Not only does it help you save on the costs of running a brick-and-mortar facility, but it is also a guarantee that you can reach out to more customers.
This principle also applies to tutors. If you are a teacher or a college student, there certainly are people who need your knowledge.
But how will you become a tutor online? Today, I will share with you the 21 best online tutoring jobs for teachers and college students.
Benefits of Online Tutoring
Why should you explore this business opportunity?
Here are the benefits of tutoring online:
- Cost – you do not have to spend a lot of money tutoring online. While some platforms may charge you a fee, they mostly charge you only after you have been paid. On average, you will only pay a 20% fee for what you charged your clients.
- Clients – in the physical world, you are limited to teaching students in your local area. But online, you can teach people from around the world. More than 250 babies are born every minute, or 130 million babies a year. These children will grow up and could be your students one day.
- Ease – you do not have to drive to go to school, much less spend time outside your house at night to tutor kids. As an online tutor, you do your job at home. You own your schedule and you can even watch after your children if there are any.
The only downside to online tutoring is that there is no physical connection between you and your students. Sometimes, it can be difficult to teach some subjects unless you are physically present.
This, however, does not make online tutoring ineffective. All it takes is to be creative in how you present your lessons.
Tips for Online Tutoring Success
Before you register online to become a tutor, I want to share some tips to help you become successful.
- Prepare your lessons – make sure that your lessons are prepared on a two-week basis. What this means is that you need a lesson plan that covers the next two weeks. You will never know when an emergency will strike, so it is best that your lessons and activities are prepared in advance.
- Make lots of homework – since online tutorials do not provide guidance to students physically, you need to make lots of activities to keep the students busy. Create multiple choice exams, quizzes, essays, math problems, and more. The activities you prepare will depend on the grade of the student and the subject.
- Record your lessons – if you have a camera, record yourself. What you can do is to edit this video later on and upload it on YouTube. As you keep uploading new videos, you will also be able to monetize your YouTube channel.
- Have a dependable internet – your internet connection is your asset. There is nothing worse that can happen than a laggy internet connection. Check out with your internet service provider and get a fast connection plan. You should not mind paying extra because the internet is your business tool.
- Choose your tools carefully – there are free tools and there are paid tools. If you will do an online tutoring activity, you need to have a video call. You can choose from tools like Google Hangout or Zoom or Facebook. Make sure that the tool you choose has the things you need.
- Teach your expertise only – do not get tempted into teaching things you do not know. If you do not know math. Do not teach it. Many parents will look for a tutorial package of several subjects, and you may be forced to teach something you do not know. If you do this, you will fail, and the parents will be unhappy.
Online tutoring has its pros and cons, but you can make it a worthwhile experience if you prepare your lessons in advance. Keep in mind that your primary goal is to transfer knowledge.
Since the face-time is limited, you need to ensure that your students get enough interactive experience from you.
21 Best Online Tutoring Jobs for Teachers & College Students
Now, let us take a look at the different platforms and ways you can become an online tutor.
1. Magic Ears
Magic Ears specializes in teaching grades 4 to 12. Here, you have to apply to become a tutor.
Here are the platform benefits:
- Earn up to $26 per hour
- Interactive platform that you can use
- Instant bookings for your services
- Lenient cancellation policy
- Flexible hours
Should you choose this platform, you need to know that the maximum number of students you can take per class or schedule is only four. This is to ensure that you can manage your class and that you have fruitful lessons with them.
Fiverr is not a job application site. Rather, it is a freelancing website. Here, you need to create a profile, called a gig, and then post that gig. You can either bid for projects or wait until somebody buys your gig.
Here are the benefits of using Fiverr:
- It is one of the biggest freelance marketplaces in the world
- No monthly fees
- Fee is only 20% per paid project
You can set your own prices on Fiverr and offer specific packages to your target market. To succeed on this platform, you need to price your services well enough so you can compete with other freelancers.
This is also a freelancing platform, and it is one of the oldest in the industry.
Here are the benefits of Freelancer:
- Millions of customers
- Easy to use
- Low monthly subscription
- Has escrow
With Freelancer, you have to pay a monthly fee to be able to stay as a member with lots of bids. There is also a free account, but this puts several limitations to your profile. You also need to pay 20% fee if a project is completed and paid.
4. Your own website
As a tutor, you can launch your own website tutorial. You can build this on WordPress and WooCommerce, and then integrate tools like Learn Worlds if you plan to offer recorded video lessons.
Here are the benefits of having your own website:
- No fees to a platform provider
- Your website, your rules
- Low-cost; pay only about $6 per month on website maintenance
This is one of the best options, but the challenge here is to get traffic. Also, you need to have a background on web design and web building to be able to build your own site.
5. Chegg Tutors
This is a platform where you apply as a tutor. It is a 24/7 tutorial platform where students can ask questions on the go, or only if they need it.
Here are the benefits:
- You log in and work at your convenience
- You can teach from anywhere for as long as you can access the platform
- You get paid each week
With Chegg, your specialization must be high school and college subjects. Here, you must be able to teach subjects like algebra, physics, calculus, chemistry, and more.
Like Fiverr and Freelancer, UpWork is platform where you create a profile, bid on projects, and then deliver your committed work.
Here are the benefits of using this platform:
- Freelancers and clients are verified
- You have payment protection
- There is a resolution center for disputes
With UpWork, you need to pay a seller fee of 20% per project. This fee can be reduced down to 5% if you reach certain amounts of project with the same client over a long period of time.
On this platform, you have to apply as a teacher. The platform serves mostly toddlers and grade schoolers.
Here are the benefits:
- Work from home
- Flexible hours; you can teach part-time if you want
- Steady income with fun and rewarding experience
- Supportive staff that will give you assistance if you need help
With QKids, you can earn between $16 and $20 per hour of work. Also, each lesson only takes 30 minutes. You no longer to set-up your tools because it is already built on the platform.
8. Revolution Prep
This is a platform where you will teach high-school and college students. To be able to apply, you need to be ready to work full-time.
Here are the benefits of being a tutor here:
- Work online or offline
- Participate and conduct webinars
- Have a 401K account
- Medical and dental coverage
As a full-time job, the salary is not disclosed on the website. You will have to negotiate this with the company management. Apart from tutors, the company is also in need of software engineers to run their online platform.
9. Tutor ME
On this platform, you can apply as a part-time tutor. You need to apply, then you will go through an interview process.
Here are the benefits:
- Earn $16 per hour of teaching
- Have a flexible schedule
- Tutor from home
- Earn from bonuses depending on your performance
Before you can apply at Tutor Me, they may ask you for your Facebook account. This is to ensure that you are a real person. You can also create an account, and then your application will be processed from there.
This is a huge company with lots of offerings. Here, you can teach K-12 and even higher education. The offer includes reviews for SAT.
The subjects you can teach here are:
- Essay writing and proofreading
To apply as a tutor, you need to contact them. From there, you will fill up a short form, and then you will receive a notification about how the application will proceed. Since the subjects taught here are for higher education, you may need to be a licensed teacher to qualify.
11. Elevate K-12
As the company name says, this one focuses on teaching K-12 students. The beauty of this platform is that you and your students have the option to teach in person, 100% remote, or a blended mix of the two.
The company has several offices worldwide, and they are in need not just of teachers but of content creators. These are people who make the lessons and put the lessons online.
There is no mention as to how much money is paid, but it is apparent that this is a full-time job. You need to contact the administration to be able to apply.
TutaPoint is not just a general tutoring institution as it also offers preparation for SAT, ACT, and others. Students pay $50 per hour of lesson, and this is where you and the company get your payment.
The classes available here are:
TutaPoint is not a freelance site. You need to apply at the Careers section of the website and then take some assessments. If you pass, you will be given access to the platform.
Brainfuse offers K-12 and higher education. Here, both you and the students will use the platform itself to do the lessons.
Apart from general lessons, the company also offers job hunting lessons for those who have already completed college.
The platform offers an on-demand tutoring service, and the platform works on both MAC and Windows. The platform is a place where students get connected to expert tutors, but it is not a freelance site. Like the other companies in our list, you need to apply and pass different assessment tests.
Studypool offers guides and online lessons to students, including scholarships, book guides, and video tutoring. There are over 10,000 tutors on this platform, and you can share the lessons and modules that are already uploaded on the website.
Here are the benefits of joining:
- Low fee at 20% of what you charged your students
- A great source of reliable income
- You have schedule flexibility
As a teacher here, you no longer need to worry about setting up your own tools. The platform is completely set-up, and you only have to register, get approved, and start looking for clients.
15. EF Education First
EF Education teaches high school and higher education. Examples of the programs offered here are languages, business degrees, sales, and many more.
The company hires not just teachers but also experts in other fields such as:
- Creativity-related courses
- Sales and marketing
- Finance and business
- Management and administration
The platform is great for people who also like to travel. Apart from online lessons, you can visit their partner schools globally to teach in person.
16. Course Hero
Course Hero is a platform where students can get homework help. It offers 24/7 service, plus study resources and textbooks.
Here are the benefits of the platform if you are an educator:
- Access to more than 40 million resources
- Access to modules and more than 200 best practices
- Access to a community
If you apply as an educator, you need to be verified. What this means is that the company isn going to ask you to prove your qualifications as a teacher.
Modaris is a freelance platform for tutors. Unlike the other sites we mentioned, there is no certification required to join.
Here are the benefits of joining:
- You can teach from home
- You can add several subjects in your portfolio
- The payment system uses an escrow
- Access to analytics to see how your gigs are performing
Payments from your clients have a holding period. You will wait two weeks before you get your payment.
Cambly is primarily a platform where you can teach English. Here, you will teach non-native English speakers to master the language and become conversational.
Here are the benefits of joining:
- Weekly payment
- You can make between $10.20 per hour or $12 per hour
- You can tutor anywhere
- You can tutor anytime
- Have access to global clients
At Cambly, you first need to apply before you become a tutor. Also, you have the option to choose how you want to tutor the student, you can do this via live calls or chat.
19. Tutor ID
Tutor ID is a platform where you can build your own profile as a tutor. Here, you can market your profile link and ask students to register and enroll in your courses.
Here are the benefits if using the platform:
- Choice of teaching individuals or groups
- Create course so there is need to go on live calls
- Online and offline locations available
The platform is free to use, but you also have to option to pay $8 or $29 per month to get more features.
Preply is a platform that is focused on providing language training. Here, you can teach several languages like Chinese, English, Spanish, German, and more.
This is probably one of the best places to become an online tutor because language training is expensive. Here, you can earn more than $550 per week.
The platform offers a wide student base, a calendar for your lesson and activities, and more. The website allows you also to have flexible schedules.
21. Study Point
The last on our list is Study Point. It is a platform where you will focus in teaching students to pass different tests like ACT and SAT. You can also teach math and science here.
To become a tutor, you have to register and complete the training sessions once you pass the assessment. From there, you can start teaching students on different academic subjects.
Online tutoring is the way of the future. What you can do is to start scouting for the best platform where you want to work.
Based on the options we have, you can choose to go solo with your website, look for clients in freelancing sites, or you can also apply for a job in some online tutoring companies.
Pick the best option that fits your lifestyle, and start marketing your services aggressively. Take note that you will face a heavy competition in this field, so do your marketing right offer more value and benefits to your students.