After you start your Shopify store, the next step is to find a product to sell and you may want to consider print on demand, or commonly known as POD.
In this article, we will focus only on the best Shopify print on demand apps. Print on demand is a business model where you do not have to order printed material in bulk.
Usually, custom printers set a minimum number of orders, like 100 t-shirts before they take your order.
Today, there are many companies that offer a POD service, even if you only need one t-shirt.
It’s not only t-shirts that you can order from these companies, but you can also order posters, cups, mugs, pens and pretty much anything that can be printed on.
The good news is that there are so many Shopify POD apps that you can choose from.
What you need to do is to install these apps and then you can sell the items in your Shopify store. If a customer places an order, you fulfill it in the app and the merchant will sort the shipping to your customer.
In this Shopify print on demand app review, we will take a look at only the best print on demand apps found in Shopify today.
Printify is one of the free Shopify POD apps available to drop shippers. There are only two plans, free and the Premium. The Premium plan costs $29 a month.
Printify allows you to create your own design. This is great for those whose customers are looking for unique or personalized prints.
With Printify, you have access to a wide range of products, affordable prices, mock-up generator and a vast number of printing partners across the globe.
Here are the services you can get for each plan:
- Free – you can use the app up to three stores, and enjoy unlimited designs. You can use the app’s mock-up generator where the product with the print is shown as a sample. You will also receive 24/7 customer service support.
- Premium – here, you can use the app on ten stores, and it is best used by businesspeople who maintain several print on demand brands. The value proposition of the Premium plan is that you can get up to 20% discount on all the products.
After installing, all you need to do is to access the app, choose a product like a cup or a shirt, upload your design in the mock-up generator, and then fulfill the order.
You also need to choose a print and product provider. If you are from the U.S., then choose a provider from the U.S. to get cheaper shipping rates.
Printify is easy to use, and it also integrates with other apps like Etsy and WooCommerce.
Printful is a free Shopify print on demand app that you can use if you are just starting your print on demand business journey. There is no setup fee, and the app is completely free to use.
What Printful specializes in is embroidery. The company takes care of the inventory, the shipping, and the production of your customized shirt with your own design.
Apart from t-shirts, the company also sells leggings, swimwear, posters, backpacks, hats, and many more.
Essentially, you just have to sell these blank products and urge your customers to submit their designs to you. Or you can also create your own design and sell them.
Here are the benefits of using the Printful app:
- Pricing flexibility – you can price your own products
- Logistics – Printful operates in Europe, Mexico, California, and North Carolina. They will take care of the shipping
- Fast shipping – the average shipping period is three business days
- Free design – if you do not have your own designs, you can use the ones available in the app. There are dozens of templates you can use, and all you need to do is to edit them and add your customer’s text or logo
- Customer involvement – your customers, can design their own products in your store
- Discounts – you will get 20% off if you order product samples. The shipping is free for these products in specific destinations.
Printful is ideal for those who want to make their customers feel involved in the design process.
It’s also best for entrepreneurs who are new to the print on demand business, especially those who are not yet ready to spend on monthly subscriptions.
Pixels is free, but you will incur other charges if you want more services. It is one of the best print on demand apps in the market today, as it has been in business since 2006.
The value proposition of Pixels is its wide range of products and its size.
It’s the largest company in its industry in the world and it has serviced international brands like Vogue, Marvel, National Geographic, DC Comics, and so much more.
To date, the company offers hundreds of product types. All you need to do is to design these products, post them on your store, and then sell them.
Examples of these are canvas prints, posters, phone cases, beach towels, yoga mats, coffee mugs, and so much more.
Here are the other benefits should you choose and install Pixel in your store:
Automated order fulfillment – the company will automatically receive the order as your customer completes the order from your store.
- Fast shipping – Pixel takes between 2 and 3 business days to print the order, and then ship it directly to the customer. As the seller, you will also receive a notification once the order is packaged and shipped.
- Easy to use – the app lets you upload images, and then you can see the final mock-up version before you place the product on your store.
- Worldwide presence – Pixel has over 15 manufacturing locations all over the world. What this means is that if your customer is in Canada, Pixel will produce the order from there, so the shipping will also be cheaper and faster. It has a presence in the U.S., Europe, Australia, Canada, and the UK. It will also save you money on cross-border taxes.
Pixels is a great choice for business people who want products that they have designed. It is a true drop shipping company in that it manufactures products with your brand name, and they will fulfill the shipping and logistics.
TeeLaunch has a presence in more than 93,000 Shopify stores, which makes it a profitable and successful print on demand company.
The best apps are ones that operates like TeeLaunch, as it offers hundreds of products for you to customize.
The app is free, and you will only incur costs if you want other services.
Here is a list of products you can customize and sell if you download this app:
- Luggage Tags
- Phone cases
- Shirts of many variants like hoodies, baby wear, swimwear, and so much more.
- Bracelets, necklaces and other jewelry
- Blankets, beach towels, pillows, shower curtains, and many more
With cheap Shopify POD apps like this, you can benefit from the following features:
- Manual order – you can use the app in other stores; you can integrate it with Etsy.
- Automated fulfillment – the company will print your design, and take care of the shipment. The company has a global presence, and this will reduce the shipping time and tax cost.
- No upfront cost – with TeeLaunch, you only pay after you were paid. You do not have to order the products. What you need is to create mockups and post these mockups in your store.
This app is a great choice for business people who want hundreds of products.
The caveat here is that you will be spending so much time designing your own products, so it is best that you concentrate on a few at a time. For example, you need to create 20 shirt designs, and then move on to bags and pillows next.
Developer: Bespoke Technologies
CustomCat is a free app. The value proposition of the company is that it offers several types of prints.
Here, you can choose between embroidery, direct-to-garment, and dye sublimation. The company has more than 550 products which includes shirts, hats, mugs, and so much more.
Here are the benefits of using CustomCat:
- Automated Notices – you will receive email notifications containing your shipping tracking details.
- Product Variety – there are more than 550 products available, so you can find a product here no matter what niche you specialize in.
- Personalization – your customers can customize their own products. They can add text to any of the designs you have from the products you launched in your store.
If you need more types of services, you can shift to the paid subscription which will cost you $30 per month.
Here are the differences between the free and paid versions:
- Free – here, you will have access to all the products, but they cost more than if you are a paying member. For example, the t-shirt will cost you $8 each, while you will only pay $6 for the same shirt if you are paying a subscription.
- CustomCat – this costs $30 per month, and you will get all the benefits of the free app plus cheaper goods.
The paid membership is great if you are already selling a lot of items monthly.
If you are receiving 100 orders a month, it’s better to pay $30 for the fee, and then pay only $600 for the shirts instead of $800.
Printy6 is a free app. There are no other versions, and you can enjoy the full benefits of the service without paying any monthly subscription fee.
Printy6 is popular because it is easy to use, and it allows you to customize different types of products before you post them in your online store.
The company also offers worldwide shipping, and you don’t have to pay for a sample to be able to design and sell one.
Here are the benefits of using the app from Snaprinting:
- Multiple products – sell anything from canvas shoes, bedding sets, wrist watches with personalized designs, pillows, wallets, shirts, wall art, and so much more.
- Fast production – the average turnaround time is between three and seven days. Shipping will take anywhere between five and 17 days. Although the shipping takes a while, it is free, and it is available worldwide.
- Simple to use – just install the app, and start designing products from the catalogue.
- Easy integration – the app was designed for Shopify, so it works in all Shopify themes. The backend management interface is easy to navigate.
- Sale notification – if a sale is made and the order has been shipped, you will receive a notification from Snaprinting, and you can set appropriate expectations to your customers. This notification also contains that tracking number.
This app is best used by individuals who want a multitude of products without the burden of a monthly fee. It’s also ideal for those who are not tech savvy because the design platform allows a simple drag-and-drop functionality.
Developer: JetPrint Fulfillment
JetPrint is one of the best Shopify print on demand apps because it’s free, easy to use, and it is available worldwide. There are no other plans, and there are no hidden costs.
What makes the company different is its POD or print on demand interface.
It is intuitive, and even if you have no clue how to design, you just have to drop a picture that you want to print on any product.
It also offers a wide range of products that you can choose from, and all shipping costs are shouldered by the company, not you as the entrepreneur.
Here are the reasons why you want this app in your Shopify store:
- Product improvement – JetPrint is consistently improving its app interface, and it keeps adding functionalities that will benefit drops shippers.
- Premium products – the company only sells high-quality blank products.
- Fast production – the company’s commitment is less than four days to manufacture your product.
- International shipping – you can sell globally, and the shipping cost is free. Around 97% of all the shipment comes with a tracking number, and you will know where the product is as it is being delivered.
- Product variation – with JetPrint, you do not just sell shirts. You can sell a wide array of products like watches with more than 50 designs, wall clocks, shoes, phone cases, pillow covers, aprons, door mats, bags, and so much more.
There is no design cost when you use JetPrint. All you need to do is to load your design and the company will manufacture the product for free.
All you have to pay for is the product itself and the difference between the cost and your sales price is your profit.
Cheap Shopify print on demand apps like TShirtgang are great for Shopify beginners. This app is free to install and use you will only pay for the product you buy and sell.
The specialization of this app is apparel, and you can choose from shirts, hoodies, aprons, one-piece suits for babies, v-necks, and so much more.
The company has been around since 2005, so you are assured that it knows its industry.
Here are the benefits of using the app:
- Integration – if you are managing several stores, you can integrate it in Etsy, Amazon, eBay, and many more.
- Specialized niche – you can choose from a lot of apparels. Although it also has other products like accessories, its main line of business is clothing. Once you use the app, you will notice the wide array of clothing types that you can choose from—you can sell for men, women, and children.
- Shipping – since the company offers international shipping, you can choose how you want it done. You can choose between First Class, Expedited, or International First Class.
- Product Generator – as s user, you can upload your design and make tweaks in the product generator. This way, you can see how it looks like before the company manufactures it.
The problem when you use Tshirtgang is that the shipping is not free. The rates vary between $4.95 and $19, depending on the destination.
You also have to pay more if you want to fast track the delivery. Take note that shipping timeline also vary, and it can take up to 15 days to fulfill international shipping.
Pillow Profits Fulfillment
Developer: Pillow Profits Fulfillment
Pillow Profits is not free. It costs $29.99 per month, but you can use it on trial for free for 30 days. The value that you pay for is that it has 10,000+ free designs.
You can also choose from a variety of products like bed covers, car seat covers, shoes, hooded blankets, and much more.
Here are the benefits of using this paid app:
- Free shipping – all products bought from the company are shipped for free. The shipping is not limited to the United States, as you can ship worldwide, also for free. However, you can only receive tracking numbers if you are shipping products to Canada, Australia, the UK, and the US.
- Automatic fulfillment – the app is integrated into your store, and when a customer orders, Pillow Profits will receive this order, too. The people behind the company will process and ship the item right away.
- Thousands of designs – there are over 10,000 designs that you can choose from and you can apply them on the products of your choice.
- Sizing satisfaction – if your customer ordered the wrong size, Pillow Profits will send a new one at no extra charge.
- Mock-Ups – you can design the products in the app, and you will receive pictures of how the products will look like. You can then use these pictures for promotion.
- Flexible order system – you can change the size and address of your customer’s order from the app. You can put orders on hold or even cancel them.
Pillow Profits is best used by those who don’t want to think of what to design. This is an advantage because the design process takes a lot of time.
Instead of marketing, you use a lot of your time designing products. With Pillow Profit, just choose a design, create a mock-up, and then launch the product in your store.
Developer: Kin Custom
Kin Custom belongs to the new breed of Shopify print on demand apps. It is completely free, and you only pay for the product you sell. The value proposition of the company is free shipping and there is no minimum order requirement to avail of the free shipping.
Here are the reasons why you have to use this app:
- Customization – you can use your own designs, and add your logo in each design. The app has a design portal that lets you do this. All you need to do is to upload your image and choose the product where to print it.
- Design templates – if you do not want to design your own, you can choose from the pre-designed merchandise of Kin Custom. Just choose from the product catalog and load your choices to your Shopify store.
- Fulfillment – after a customer orders from your store, you can rest assured that Kin Custom will ship it free.
- Product selection – Kin Custom prides itself for unique merchandise. While many PODs only focus on shirts, Kin Customs sell bags, wristlets, canvas shoes, and so much more. This wide selection allows you to fulfill orders in specific niches.
Kin Custom is best used by entrepreneurs who have fresh ideas. You can collaborate with the company’s representatives and ask them to include other merchandise items that they currently do not have in their inventory.
Developer: Voodoo Manufacturing
Our Shopify print on demand app review will not be complete without Voodoo. Unlike other PODs, Voodoo specializes in something unique called 3D printing.
3D printing is a young technology. It allows you to “print” something from a picture. With this product, you will stand out from the thousands of people selling generic products like coffee mugs and t-shirts.
The best part is that the app is free, and you only get charged for a product sold.
Here are the other benefits of using the app:
- Low capital – the products you sell only cost at least $5. But because it is 3D, customers will never find it anywhere, so you can mark it up as much as you want.
- No monthly cost – you will not pay any subscription. You will only pay for orders that Voodoo fulfilled.
- Fast delivery – Voodoo commits as little as two days to fulfill an order.
- Mock-ups – the app allows you to create mockups so you can display them in your store. You do not need to buy an actual sample.
This product works best for people who are after uniqueness. One problem is that for now, 3D printing has limitations so you can only sell cookie cutters, wall hooks, and coasters.
There we have it, the 11 best Shopify apps for print on demand services. All of them are great choices, and it can be a daunting task to decide which one to use.
A key thing to remind yourself is this: what niche are you in?
After you answer that question, search these 11 apps if they offer the product you are selling. Test the app, navigate the tools, check the quality of the mock up, and then review the cost and shipping rates and timelines.
Also, do not forget to consider the turnaround time.
Once you have put all of these factors side by side, you can make an informed decision, ensuring that your choice of app or apps is the best for your business.
The custom t-shirt niche is an amazing niche to get into and according to research is a growing market.