With a huge list of free themes available on Shopify, it is quite a difficult decision to make as to what theme best serves your online business.
Despite themes having similar features, not all of them are built for the same niches.
Choosing the wrong theme after you built your Shopify store can prove to be a tedious ordeal later on, because if you decide to change your theme you have to start from scratch.
What this means is that you have to re-upload all the products from the old one to the new theme.
We will be doing a Shopify Supply theme review and dive deep into the theme so we can understand what it does.
Most importantly we will see if this theme is right for you Shopify store.
What Is The Shopify Supply theme?
The Supply theme for Shopify is a free theme developed by the company itself. It is specifically made for businesspeople who are looking for a minimalist design for their online store.
It looks clean and the positions of the photos and the collections are carefully arranged to avoid clutter.
The theme is best used by people who have large inventories, as it allows you to upload more than 50 products and five collections.
The overall layout is smooth, which allows for ease of navigation at the top of the webpage.
It comes in two designs. You can chose to go Blue or choose the Light version.
For the Blue theme, it allows you to put six collections below your sliders. Just below that, you can also one featured collection followed by two rows of your products.
Don’t Have A Store Yet? Get a Free Shopify 14 Day Trial Here
In the Light theme, you can only place four collections to showcase, and a featured collection below it.
There are no product rows below your featured collection, as the footer immediately gets on display after that.
Both themes are customizable and they share the same features and functionalities.
It is best if you take a look at the demo of each one before deciding, because changing the theme from one to the other can change the layout of your store.
Supply Shopify Theme Main Features
As a minimalist theme, you should not be surprised that the Shopify Supply theme also has a minimalist value proposition.
However, this does not mean that it is not flexible enough to provide you with what you need. It can do a lot of what other free themes can do.
Below are the main features of the theme.
- Large Product Capacity – unlike other themes that have a maximum capacity of 50 products, you can add more than that in here. This is why it is best used for businesses that have hundreds of product types such as cameras, wristwatches, and fashion accessories.
- Featured Collections – most themes will limit you to four collections, but this one allows you to maximize your home page by putting up to six collections for your customers to see. The more collections you have, the more credible you will appear to site visitors.
- Collection Filtering – there is a sidebar feature in the theme that lets you activate a filtering module. Once this is activated, your customers can tick or untick boxes so they can filter their search by brand, price, or other specifications.
- Home Page Slideshow – since the theme wants you to sell a lot of products, you can put several slideshows at the top of your page. These slides, however, cannot contain clickable links or buttons. You can only put images in there and not videos.
As you can see, the main features of this theme are focused on customer oriented capabilities.
They allow you to program your store interface in such a way that your customers will find it easy to navigate your site.
This is important, as websites that are difficult to navigate will push customers away.
Supply Theme Backend Features
As with other themes, the Supply Shopify theme lets you modify a lot of the site’s aspects to fit your overall business branding.
Here are the things you can do from the backend.
- Content Sections – you can change the appearance of the sections on your home page. If you do not want to put a featured collection, you can remove this from the theme. You can also select how many rows of products you want to appear, and add or remove some sections in the footer.
- Customizable Slider – you can change the number of sliders on the home page. If you want to put only one, you can do so. You can also change the frequency of the slider movement in seconds.
Note that the sliders do not occupy the end-to-end sides of the webpage. About 25% of the home page on the side is made of white space.
- SEO – all product titles and descriptions are optimized. You can adjust the content of the Meta title and the Meta description so search engines can easily index your online store’s content.
Take advantage of this and use important keywords in these areas.
Also, make sure that the contents of the Meta titles and description fit the requirements of Google. Don’t forget that they should have a call to action.
- Drop Downs – you can add or remove drop downs from the top of the page; you can also add sub-categories so your customers can easily find what they are looking for.
For example, your main category is “Cameras”. You can create a drop down that shows brands like Nikon, Canon, and more.
When a customer clicks on a drop-down, he will be taken to that specific product collection.
- Social Media – the theme displays social media icons like Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. You can link these icons to your social media accounts.
What you need to do is to simply type the URL of your social media profile in the designated boxes, and the site will integrate them.
If your customer clicks on the Facebook icon, his browser will take him to your Facebook profile page.
Apart from these, the theme has an option for you to put pages such as About Us, blog entries, shipping details, terms and conditions, return policies and more.
Use all these features to make your site professional, and provide as much information to your customers as the need it.
Related Product: Click Here To See Our Custom Theme
Supply Shopify Theme Advanced Features
Here are some of the things you can modify in this free Shopify theme.
We can’t name all of them, but this should give you an idea of how far you can go with it.
- Header – you can change the elements of your header page. For one, you can add a logo that the site will display, and you can add a simple message that will also show at the top of the page. This can be a slogan, or something witty that your customers would find funny.
- Footer – the footer section is where you place important documents. You can add an About Us page, Contact Us, Terms and Conditions, Shipping Terms, Returns and Refund Policy, Quick Links, and your newsletter or email collection bar.
- Payment Icons – customers are more likely to buy if they can see that you accept payment methods that they possess. With this theme, you can tick boxes that will show the payment options you accept, such as PayPal and different credit cards.
- Product Page Customization – this is the most important aspect of your business because this is the area where the customer will read everything there is to know about your product.
With the product page editor, you can create discounts and show the customer how much he is saving if he buys now.
Other themes do not have this and you have to integrate a separate app just to make this happen.
You can also enable the zoom functionality and the photo will enlarge if the customer hovers his mouse over it.
This is similar to what you see in Amazon. If you hover your mouse on an Amazon listing the photo zooms in giving you a clearer view of the product.
You can also add a stock count and you can use it to your advantage because customers panic if they see that the product they are looking at is the last one.
There are more features that you can toggle in the product page.
You can toggle things like Compare Pricing, Show Related Products, Product Sharing through social media icons and Variant Picker.
Advantages When Using This Theme
This Shopify Supply theme review wouldn’t be complete without talking about the advantages.
Below are some of the reasons why this theme will fit your business.
- Free – the theme is free to use and there are no hidden fees. You do not have to pay for any subscription, except for your monthly Shopify bill.
- Customizable – the site has a lot of aspects that you can customize. You can change the colors and the fonts if you want to, and this flexibility allows you to create an online store that matches your brand’s look and feel.
- Free Updates – expect to get regular updates for your theme. This is important because a website will lag if it does not keep up with international standards. As technology advances, the code in your online store must be able to deliver in modern browsers, modern phones, faster internet speeds, and more.
- Mobile-compatible – if your customers are shopping with their mobile devices, the theme will automatically detect it and change the layout. The website will now look like as if it is an app, and your customers will love that it is easy to navigate.
- Email Subscription – the theme lets you collect email addresses from your customers. You can also remove it if you want to. The email collection bar is not obtrusive, and will not disturb your customers as it is placed in the footer section.
You can put a message in this area, so make sure that you create a tag line that will convince the customer to supply you with his email address.
TIP: Offer discounts, helpful content, coupons, or freebies in exchange for the email address.
- Product Reviews Integration – the theme was developed to integrate easily with another Shopify app called Product Reviews. This app allows you to collect survey responses, or product reviews, from customers who purchased your items.
Now, let us take a look at how customers perceive this free Shopify theme. We will see if the feedback is something you have to worry about.
The theme holds a strong rating of 65% out of 40 reviews.
Here are two common complains.
The theme cannot support old browsers. The usual problem is that the drop-downs do not work if the customer is using an old browser.
Ideally, the site visitor must be using Internet Explorer version 11 or its equivalent.
The theme was not designed with the traditional liquid coding language. Many experts and web developers can’t provide support if you want to modify it significantly.
These a minor issues considering this theme is free.
As for the coding, it’s always best not to mess with pre-built themes.
If you have any intention to create a website with your specification, you are better off building a store from scratch.
Apart from these two complaints, there is no other negative feedback from users.
Don’t Have A Store Yet? Get a Free Shopify 14 Day Trial Here
Overall, we will rate the Shopify Supply theme with 4.6 stars out of 5 stars.
It best used by people who.
- Have a large inventory
- Want to capture email address and focus on social media campaigns
- Need reviews for their products to show on the site
- Want to put up to six collections
- Need slider but not the functional button in it
- Want a customizable font and color palette
The theme takes into account your marketing, your inventory size, your customer effort when navigating the site, and the backend functionalities that will make it easy for you to build it.
You can also easily integrate it with apps that can help you make more sales.
You wont have no regret using the Supply theme for Shopify. It’s free! try it out and see what you think.
You Might Also Enjoy
- Dropshipping For Beginners: The Simple Step By Step Guide To Starting
- Shopify Pricing Plans: Basic Shopify vs Shopify vs Advanced Shopify
- The Ultimate Free Dropshipping Course For 2019 & Beyond
- How To Start A Shopify Store In 12 Minutes With A Few Simple Steps!
- 5 Best Reviews On Ecom Elites That Will Show You Exactly What You Get!